Wednesday, December 22, 2010

9 Mornings of “Simbang Gabi”



December 16, 2010, I was so excited to welcome the first morning of Simbang Gabi, a 9-day ritual celebrated early morning culminating to a Misa de Gallo. A Spanish phrase, they say, coined to mean a midnight mass or more literally translated as “Rooster’s Mass” because it was believed that the rooster would have been the first to witness the birth of Jesus Christ and thus be the one to announce it (Wikipedia). The “Simbang Gabi signals the preparation for the birthday of our savior Jesus Christ. Beliefs exist that once you complete the 9 mornings culminating in a Misa de Gallo means a wish come true. My absence of three (3) years from celebrating this significant event at home perhaps is the very reason why I was so excited to attend the Simbang Gabi. I did actually promise to complete the 9 mornings because I have a personal wish. What is it? I’ll keep it for myself (LOL).
Things indeed have changed overtime just like the feast of the Immaculate Conception. As I turned my gaze to the parishioners, I have not seen any familiar faces. Everyone seemed to be foreign to my sight. The local place I used to grow up with has been densely populated with people whom I think also fell in love with the place now coined as the “little Tokyo” of the pre-war era. Barangay Mintal owes this title to the Japanese occupation during the “pre-war” era.

Over and above this belief, I still have strong convictions that it’s your faith and sincerity to the Lord Almighty that makes your wish granted whether you complete the 9 mornings or not.

So I am wishing everyone, a festive but peaceful and meaningful Christmas and a very prosperous New Year filled with new hopes and bright potentials.

All the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment