Thursday, February 12, 2009

Parting Words

I am not good at saying goodbye to people. It eats me up all the time. Today, is my exit meeting with the partners here in Longchuan. I am happy that the support groups were able to come. I am grateful for the nice words and appreciation of my contribution. I know that at times like this, I can be emotional and so it was so wise for me to prepare my speech. It was nice as well that the support group would want a copy of it (souvenir baga - LOL). Take a look at it.

Tadjia Hao!

With your indulgence, allow me to read my prepared speech because at times like this (saying goodbye) I can become emotional and when I am emotional most of the time I lose my points.

Exit meeting like this is the event I would want to skip If only I can. If only I can leave Longchuan without a trace then I would really do it. BUT I CAN’T. I JUST CAN’T. I can not just leave all of you without saying GOODBYE because you have been a significant part of my wonderful 2-years stay in Longchuan. You made me feel like I am not a “laowai”. The warmth of your reception made me feel safe and secure. You made Longchuan my home away from home.

Looking back 2 years ago - Will I survive in China? Was the biggest question in my mind. And now I can proudly say, yes I survived China, I survived Longchuan. My journey as a volunteer might have been tumultuous but I felt triumphant of my decision to render my voluntary service in Longchuan. This placement has been very challenging in many different ways from language to working styles to organizational culture to local food, to weather and lifestyle. But these challenges did not deter me to work alongside people and try making a difference. I do not really know If indeed I made a difference here but I am already happy to know that I won many friends in Longchuan. Friends who are etched in my heart forever. To describe my journey is like riding a roller coaster with its up-and-downs but the beauty of this ride is that I was able to witness the unfolding of each event that led me to appreciate the beauty of life’s imperfections. The ride afforded me the thrill of a lifetime no one can give me.

My placement afforded me a very rich-learning and humbling experience. To have been able to work closely with People Living with HIV has been the most rewarding experience I would cherish forever. They are real people. Their stories are real. I deeply felt the big dent they have made in my life than I making an impact in theirs. I do believe that a volunteer placement is not only bounded with what is written in placement documentations. But the real challenge is how to bring the lives behind this placement documentation into full play in order to make a significant difference on the lives of those who are poor and disadvantaged.

I am so proud of Longchuan. Why? Because you showed to me that “unity in diversity” exist among various ethnic groups. The magnificent display of your pride of your diverse ethnic culture and customs bring an overwhelming lesson to me that I can take home. Longchuan made me realized that despite difference in language, race, color or belief, we can indeed create a friendlier and harmonious global community that is more habitable place to live in.

All of this experience would have been impossible without you. First and foremost, allow me to express my deepest gratitude to Yang Xinmei for the leadership and the friendship. Yu Qiang – my counterpart who has been there every step of the way. Thank you very much.

I am indebted to People’s Hospital – Dr. Li Jiping, Dr. Yang Haiqin, Dr. Fu, Dr. Xu Yu Wun and the men and women working in the hospital for the friendship, the work and assistance whenever I needed them – words are not enough to say thank you very much.

I would also like to say thank you to the men and women of AIDS prevention and coordination office headed by Ms. Mei Hongying for the countless support you have given to all volunteers who have been here.

Ms. Yang Dafen of Foreign Support Office, Dr. Hou Zengsen of Women and Children’s Hospital, Ms Jiang Yong Yun of the Bureau of Education, Dr. Dao Qingfen and Dr. Zhang of CDC – thank you so so much for the wonderful work experience with you.

The active and energetic Village Doctors Dr. Yin Zu Luan, Dr. Yin Xing Wei, officers of I Care Support Group headed by He le ka and United for a Common Cause Support Group headed by Yue Maji – I don’t know how to express my sincerest gratitude to all of you but let me say it in my language – MARAMING MARAMING SALAMAT PO!

Last but definitely not the least – VSO for providing me this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. To Li Anyuan (Kevin) and all my former National Volunteers – thank you very much for without you – there’s nothing that I can do. It is because of your work that made everything possible.

There are so many people to thank here today and my list is endless. I may not have mentioned you here but rest assured you are here in my heart.

I hope everyone can be an agent for change. Change to improve the loves od those who are poor and disadvantaged.

Xiexie Tadjia.

3 comments:

  1. I am proud of you friendship! you are a rare breed coz you have always a way to inspire the people around you!

    your work is totally rewarding coz you get to serve. there is nothing else here on earth, everyone seems to be scampering for material wealth but you have more than that!

    see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks friendship, I thought dun ako na touch when a member of the support group said nga he can now openly discuss his status as poz to anyone in the village...they were inspired daw when I joined them eating and drinking...ang sabi pa nung isa...may dongdong magic daw ako hahahahahaha...kasi before ang mga poz mahirap ipunin pero this time madali na lang daw sila ipatawag...eto yung wealth na walang kabayaran...

    ReplyDelete