Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Saying Goodbye – The last Full show

My last days in Longchuan has been agonizingly sweet. For no apparent reason, I was lackadaisical. Looking at my typhoon-hit room, I realized, I accumulated so much in the 2 years that I stayed here. But they are not all rubbish. I decided to dispose and hand down the things that the Support Group and Orphans can salvage and put to use. I am excited of going home – I really am. I do. But something is heavy – nope not my luggage. I thought it’s the humbling experiences that have enriched me as a person.

It took me a week to pack my things and the experiences I gained in two years time. I felt heavy but light at the same time because I know I made an imprint in the hearts and minds of the people I have worked with, made friends and socialized with.

The final week was emotionally draining as I tried to hide the sadness in my heart. The send-off dinner, the photo ops, the send off gifts and the wishes of wellness and luck has been overwhelming. But I was really struck last night as the Village Doctor I am working with closely called us up and said they are coming and it’s already 10 in the evening. His wife, son and one of the officers of women group with her daughter in tow came and brought us freshly boiled eggs and a fruit endemic in Longchuan named Xian Yan (see photo attached). I was touched. I do. I was misty-eyed receiving all the things that I thought one would only do to a close family member. In fact, they have given me a lot including a Jingpo Zu ethnic costume (see picture below. I really didn’t know how to thank them. As they’ve given me several send off dinner. It’s overwhelming to be honest I can’t contain here in my heart. These are the moments in volunteering that are priceless. You would know in your heart that you’ve touched lives.

I realized, I don’t need a damn indicators and a lengthy questionnaire to measure my impact here in Longchuan. I know and I truly believe I made a difference especially in the hearts of the people at the grassroots level.

I can now leave Longchuan with smile in my heart – forever.

1 comment:

  1. heeeyyy friendship! you look like a true blooded chinese in that ethnic costume! cheers!

    see you sssooonnnnnnn

    ReplyDelete