Sunday, February 1, 2009

Embracing Diversity

Everything seems to be back to normal. The festive mood of the spring festival has died down gradually. The streets are deserted once again. Longchuan is back to being silent. But in the 2 years that I witnessed and joined their festivities – the memories has been banging my heart and my mind and the messages flashing are too loud to ignore.

Seeing the local and ethnic community so ecstatic over the 3-day ethnic dancing is truly refreshing and heartwarming. There are 5 major ethnic groups in Lonchuan and these are Jingpo, Dai, De’ang, Lisu and Acang Zu. These ethnic groups converge every year for the ethnic dancing during spring festival.

The Ethnic Dance…

The 3-day ethnic dancing of around 5,000 – 10,000 people as I was told is about thanksgiving. It could be likened to ‘Sinulog’ in Cebu (religious festival in the Philippines) or ‘Kadayawan’ in Davao (thanksgiving festival). There is something special in this event. The formation of this dance, to me looks like a ‘cabbage form’ or a 'brain' which is highly convoluted. This formation apparently depicts their history of migration, attitude and convergence in diversity as a community despite their differences. The Chieftain (wearing an eagle headdress) takes the lead. The dance is simple but the beat is uplifting.

As an outsider, I saw in the people their overwhelming pride. Pride in their roots, in who they are and in what they are as an ethnic group living in a highly changing modern China. I personally felt there is that conscious effort to preserve their culture as ‘Indigenous People’. And I have seen this not only during the ethnic dancing but in their day-to-day activities. I just really hope my country, my beloved country – Philippines would also learn from this. Western influence is higly changing the attitude, the norms and the culture of people. Recognition and respect of Indigenous Peoples’ Right to ancestral domain, culture, ways of life is crucial. By recognition and respect, I say that the Government should put genuine programmes and resources to cultivate and preserve the roots of Indigenous People. Let’s help as well IPs to take pride in themselves. How many ethnic people would introduce himself or herself as Bagobo, Manobo or Aeta (ethnic groups in the Philippines) when asked to introduce? Truly, we can hardly count.

I am so proud of China. I am so proud of Longchuan. Why? Because they showed to me that “unity in diversity” can exist among ethnic groups. As magnificent as the display of their pride of its diverse ethnic culture and customs is the sincerity and purity of peoples’ heart that I am able to develop meaningful relationship with local people. Longchuan made me realized that despite language and color difference, we can indeed create a friendlier and harmonious global community that is more habitable place to live in.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! I think the Filipinos are likewise proud of their ancestors. Or we should not be celebrating our annual festivals. We also have a unique way of giving reverence to our indigenous people or tribal groups wherein we can also be very proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true Anj, I do agree with you. But it is not just an annual celebration of festivals - our pride that you are saying must be translated into a day-to-day thing that we can truly say - that yes Our IPs culture hasn't been eroded by the western culture. How many IPs have you seen holding leadership roles in our government offices? Those are the things I see lacking in our beloved Philippines. We have to be straightforward about it and see things objectively and I say there is something wrong with the programmes of our government in terms of uplifting the conditions of IPs in the Philippines. Good that there are NGOs doing something like PAMULAAN in USP Mintal which is really good. I just hope we can help the IPs in the Philippines because this is part of out true identity as Filipinos. Peace, Anj...see you soon for actual debate hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete