Saturday, January 31, 2009

Spectacular Cultural Event


I am always hands down with China when it comes to entertainment and lavish production event. There’s so much pride in whatever they do – it could be both a bold pronouncement of being the next superpower and a genuine effort for excellence.

Wow! Fabulous! Magnanimous! These were my expressions of great appreciation of a job well done. I was in the park a couple of nights ago and didn’t know there’s a big cultural event going on. I would say it’s a well budgeted show. Stage was awesome. Superb production numbers and choreography. Wardrobe and Props showing the different costumes of the different ethnic groups was meticulously done.

Music is the real language of the heart. I don’t understand the ethnic dialect and even the mandarin language but for no special reason I can feel the beat and I seem to enjoy it. It’s so pleasant. The show to my understanding (again being alone and without translator) depicted the history of the ethnic groups in Dehong Prefecture and in Longchuan. It talks about a life in harmony with nature, invasion of migrants and encroachment of their territories, war as they defended their lands, migration, their day-to-day life as a community, friendship & courtship and triumph & thanksgiving. It was a very rich-learning experience despite language difficulty.

The only thing that pissed me off was the screeching sound of a man standing next beside me spitting horrendously (Puh…lease) move away!

But hey wait – that was just a final dress rehearsal? What? (LOL)

2 comments:

  1. Chinese indeed have a treasure of ancient history and culture. But I believe, we should also be proud of our humble beginnings. The Philippines have produced the greatest Malayan hero up to this date. Our Dr. Jose P. Rizal. Not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My appreciation to other culture, doesn't mean I appreciate less ours...heheheh

    ReplyDelete