Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Good Samaritan

October 30, I had an uneasy feeling and thought that a symptom of a gouty attack is on its way. I can still manage the pain I had on my right foot and even had fun with my family on a Halloween party on 31st October. By November 1, it was just inconceivable to walk as the pain got worst when my right foot was swelling. I was really planning to visit the cemetery and pay respect and offer prayers to souls of my relatives and close friends. It was the first time in three (3) years that I would be able to do that being that I am always overseas during ‘all souls Day’. Then I realized that there are really things no matter how hard you plan them, they just do not happen the way you want them to happen.

I have no choice but to stay home and get enough rest. By fifth (5th) of November I was tired and bored lying alone in bed so I tried to get out limping and hopping my way out bringing with me my monobloc chair. Ahhh, it’s just so cool to catch some fresh air. By then it sunk in to me, it is and will always be difficult to be disable but on a positive note it teaches me a good lesson that no matter how hard and difficult the situation is, you can do something to overcome a certain situation whether that is physical, psychological or emotional in nature.

This yet another “gouty” episode being the third (with the first two attacks in China) again shows me that there are really good people in this universe and that by nature man is kind and caring. While I was watching the sun sets, a neighbor I don’t know whom I observed to regularly pass by my house everyday noticed me hopping in and asked me. What’s wrong with you? With all humility I retorted – my arthritis is giving me hard time. And the short conversation started. He said “Pau de Arcu” leaves are potent in keeping away arthritis. It’s very effective. I tried them with my nephew. I’ll go now and bring you some fresh leaves. He came back and brought a handful of Pau de Arcu leaves and gave me instructions how to use it. He strongly suggested I stopped taking the western medicines as they won’t bring good effect on a long term use. Curious, my other neighbor came in and shared some thoughts and how she managed her arthritis by becoming a vegetarian and this time the fish vendor came into the scene and instead of selling her fish she gave as well her caring thoughts as to how to manage the pain.

That evening, I realized how people can be truly caring – even if strangers (shame, we didn’t even exchanged names). The natural goodness of human beings always comes out in the most unexpected time. The Good Samaritan will always be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment