Thursday, January 1, 2009

Wrapping up New Year's Day

Over all it was a very peaceful new year. I was relaxed and calm. Good sign. One of the Chinese beliefs is that you have to wash your feet before 12 midnight or better yet take a bath. My God, It was too cold - I chose to wash my feet. While waiting for new year, I had fun voice chatting with my friends in the Philippines and Sri lanka. It was really cool. Slept at 3:00 am.

Jiayou! Jiayou! Jiayou! (pronounced as Chayo, Chayo, Chayo - quite an unintelligible language - the pinyin is the sound of the chinese characters and I really find no connection or whatsoever between the spelling and its pronounciation. Anyway, Jiayou means come on when they cheer up anyone.

Those were the sound that woke me up at around 8:30 in the morning. Half awake I peeped on my window pane and saw people young and old congregate in the middle of the road just in front of the Government building. Nope it was not a street demonstartion or protest (no way it's not possible here). I tried to scan the street and saw police men, firemen and some military blocking the road. With the word Jiayou, I realized there must be some kind of a competition going on. Students cheered Jiayou! Jiayou!, Jiayou! energetically to participants of the game. It was a mini-olympics hosted by the local government. Somehow it raised the festive mood of the people including me. I wasn't able to get back to sleep so I decided to take my favorite breakfast Mi xin and Yo tiao (see attached photo). Mi xian is a fresh, hot and spicy noodles. You put lemon in it to add flavor and then a pinch of salt, MSG, pepper and a little of oil, sesame seeds, spring onions, ginger and a lot more depending on your taste. Mi xin is actually similar to our famous "Bulalo" in the Philippines and Yo tiao is similar to "pilipit" in Davao minus the sugar. It's made up of flour and is cooked by deep frying.

I occupied myself window shopping together with a friend and culminated our new year in a sumptous dinner.

Tha's how I spent my new day away from home. I hope this year would bring us closer to living our dreams. Keep on dreaming everyone.

1 comment: