Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Don't cry for me Mozambique

With the kind of placement I went through, I thought it would be easier to leave but I was wrong until the day I left Mozambique. I think everyone will agree with me that saying goodbye is always difficult and hard especially if we know deep in our hearts that we are able to develop significant and meaningful relationships in placement. The time has come for me to pack my things up and bid goodbye to all the people who have painted my life in placement with myriad of colors. It was a sad moment to see important people in “send-off parties”. But the young people who are members of the organization I worked with gave me a surprise and unrivaled send-off I had to date. Seeing people cry when I leave is a big NO-NO because I easily get affected. On the day I left Maputo, a local best friend together with three closest Filipino friends sent me off. We were early so I was able to check in without hassle. The waiting time was long and so we killed the time by chatting and discussing what is next after Mozambique, keeping in touch, plans for reunion, etc. People started to crowd the International Airport and busy going from one direction to another mending their personal matters. My gaze directed me to a group of young people that I was not able to recognize from the distance. It was my youth group. What could this people be doing here was the question running in my mind as we had a simple send-off celebration in my house for 2 days. I had no idea what were there plans but suddenly the group blocked the entrance of the departure lounge and started to stage a little drama or stage play depicting my life story in Mozambique. I was a bit ashamed at first, as I am not used to short-lived fame (LOL). People started to convene watching the performance. In the end they tossed me up and hugged me for the last time. It was a real heavy drama as they cried buckets. I was teary-eyed as well, touched by the gesture and E for effort. I realized that indeed I was successful in touching lives of people I have met in Mozambique. And looking back, I thought my life was touched more than I making a difference in theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment