Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Lost and Found in Placement

I always have difficulty in following the line “Destiny is not a matter of chance, but a matter of choice”. Maybe, maybe not…arrgggh whatever! On my first stint, I was offered 7 placements to choose from. Pakistan, Vanuato, Namibia and four (4) in Mozambique were part of the list. Going through the placement documentations, Mozambique was my best choice and priority. I was prepared to face head on the challenges that awaits me in the country once colonized by Portugal.

My placement was based in the capital city of Maputo. It is in the middle of a sub-urban community badly needing a running and functioning health post to cater to its basic needs. We arrived in Maputo as the biggest contingent that the Programme Office received. There were around 17 of us and we definitely represent the “United Nations” as volunteers came from Kenya, Uganda, United Kingdom, Ireland, Brazil, and the Philippines. The In-Country Training (ICT) lasted 6 weeks which include intensive language lessons on Portuguese. While in ICT, I was persistent in asking VSO as to when I’m gonna visit my office but to no avail. I was getting some hints and I started to become panicky over the thought that there’s something going on and I was kept in the dark. Torres Vermelhas or Red Tower where we were billeted for the ICT deserted with just a wink of an eye when the ICT ended. I was now on my own until I learned that “I lost my placement” even before I landed in Maputo. Aaagh! Did I hear it right? Yes, it was right. I almost collapsed. I gathered enough energy and collected myself. So what’s next? Coming from the land of “Lapu-Lapu” – quitting never occurred to me (LOL). I stayed in the capital city for three (3) months under house arrest short for doing nothing literally and figuratively. Consumed with my “vacation” in foreign land, I renegotiated my status and came up with a proposal. On the 4th month, I was thrown out in the northern province not as an exile but to do a cross-learning visit all-expenses paid trip by VSO. The supposed-to-be 4 weeks visit was cut short into 3 weeks because I was bored and tired with no news on the future of my placement. I have to do something. At the start of my fifth (5th) month, I finally have an office but without a clear job description. I was a nomad in the office having no fix workstation. I basically move especially if the office is flooded with visitors coming from wherever and that even on the last days in my placement, I have to share my table with the office radio…sighed. Despite all these, I can still paint a sincere smile on my face. It did not deter me to face the challenges because I know deep in my heart I was on a mission. Resiliency and patience are virtues I discovered while in placement.

Lost and confused by mere absence of clear placement description, I went out, met people and advertised what I can do and share. My initiative came to fruition - I found my placement. Three (3) Community-based youth and women organizations expressed their sincere need to capacitate them in HIV/AIDS Programming. I then developed my own placement and job description and submitted this to my boss at the City AIDS Council in which he agreed as part of its technical support to Community Based Organizations. I now became a roving volunteer of the three organizations. I was happy and doing well with the current job that I myself developed but “destiny was never through with me”. Somebody is planning to snatch my post (may nagtangkang agawin ang aking trono). Over my dead body (LOL)! “Pinaghirapan ko ang placement na ito, utang na loob, tantanan nyo ako!” (I’ve worked hard for this placement, for Christ sake leave me alone!”). One of the locals based overseas was quite interested in working with one of the organizations I am assisting with. For no apparent reason, this is the organization closest to my heart. The irony of all irony is that this “being” will work through VSO. I was kept in the dark. I had no idea at all that the “evils” were brewing up some wicked plans towards my placement. I was shocked when I received the news that this “being” (a.k.a VSO Volunteer) has completed all the pre-departure trainings and clearances from VSO Netherlands . In fact, the air ticket is ready as I was told. What do you think? Was the question asked by my Programme Officer on the other line. I was gasping for breath. You be in my shoes, and you will declare war! Again, I am from the land of Lapu-lapu and this is not the best time to surrender. I was in a fighting mood. In fact, I was ready to knock out any one who comes my way. To cut the story short, I won in this particular event. Gold Medal and a record holder (LOL). I fought all through out that led the Programme Office to reject this “being” (a.k.a. VSO Volunteer).

No comments:

Post a Comment