Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Next Big Thing!

Volunteering never bores me. I can truly feel now the term “Chronic Volunteer” category (LOL). I was in hiatus for quite sometime after my Nigeria experience and here comes China my third placement. From a distance, I saw myself, morphed into a being tested by time, ripened by experience. I felt I was ready to embark on a new challenge in my volunteering journey.

The Next Big Thing!

My first dose of being an instant celebrity made me high and drove me nuts. I realized “showbiz” is and would never be my thing – “naks ang kapal! (LOL). My work with Youth League entails monitoring the implementation of Youth League Leaders’ re-entry plans developed after the advocacy training I have conducted. My first monitoring visit was in a school. We are to witness the closing ceremony of the Peer Education training conducted by a Youth League Leader. Students at the gate welcomed us warmly. They played loud ethnic music and banged their drums. They wore ethnic attire and offered sweet wine placed in bamboo – the traditional practice. As we arrived, we were directed towards the room where the performance will be held. The newly trained peer educators were waiting and soon we arrived they gave a wonderful performance. Effort was there as they introduced themselves in English with others having difficulty in it. Of course, you have to give allowances, English is not the mother tongue. The performance ended in a candlelight ceremony forming a red ribbon. I was shocked after the performance ended as they were all screaming and running towards me asking for autograph. What about that? Yes, you heard it right an autograph signing ensued. It was too tiring and I was sweating in the cold evening. I felt ashamed at the same time because my colleagues, deputy directors, head master, and other officials were waiting for me outside. After the autograph signing I thought I was done. Photo shooting followed not only with students but with teachers as well. But I indeed gave my sincerest smile for the appreciation of the warm welcome they gave me. It was the evening of all evenings, it did not give me a good night sleep.

Never in my entire life had I imagined to be given such fame as that evening. I am very definite my destiny in not showbiz (LOL). But I have to comeback to the same school which gave me my first taste of fame for another monitoring. This time the school is conducting an “info-tainment” (Information plus entertainment show) participated in by students and teachers. This was again the initiative of the Youth League leader whom I am training to be a facilitator. We arrived along with the big leaders and we’re directed to seat along with the school officials. I was told by my translator that after the school headmasters opening speech I am next in line. I was a bit panicky as I have not prepared any speech having not known this in advance. But as boy scout I composed my thoughts and readied myself. My time came as they introduced me. I didn’t know I would experience that thunderous applaud like the SONA of President Macapagal Arroyo (LOL). I was really shocked as every sentence I utter, the crowd applauded wildly before my translator could translate it for them. Whether they understood my speech or not as the reason of the applause, that evening is a real history in my overseas volunteering (LOL). I just wonder what scenario I would be in, in my next shot at fame? Whew! (LOL).

No comments:

Post a Comment