Monday, October 27, 2008

Going Green!

I never imagined that at my age (forget the number), a gouty arthritis would attack me and not once but twice, darn! I remember how I hate the smell of “salonpas” (brand name of a mentholated plaster) which my father and sister chronically used for their aching muscles. Smells of “spirit of ammonia”, “efficascent oil” among others are the smells I thought associated with aging. Although, I am not afraid of getting old, we are all going that way; it is just that I don’t like those smells.

But with all that is happening to me, I just realized recently that my body is now paying for the abuses I have done into it. I have no discipline over my diet. I munch over junk foods. Cold colas quench my thirst. Fats energize me. Salty and oily foods keep me sane. Alcohol distresses me and shuts down my world for a while. What can I do? Veggies not even its colors and forms attracted my palate. It has always been meat (chicken, pork, fish, etc) that makes me salivate at its smell and sight (well this is exaggerated LOL).

With high levels of purines and uric acid in my body, there’s no way “a-sporty-active-me” can get back into the “usual thing I do” it’s just impossible with a swelling painful foot.

I realized that indeed “health is wealth”. You reap what you sow. I am slowing down my activities to enjoy life more. To witness each moment as it unfold right before my very eyes. Life is good if you go green (LOL). I’m enjoying now the fresh veggies and fruits without colas, low-protein diet and high in fiber. I am su
rviving without the alcohol and meat. And mind you, I now have stacks of mentholated plaster and other ointment for muscle pains. Sighed…

OMG help me survive I’m craving for “pork adobo/humba”, “lechon” (Filipino dishes), sea foods and a case of an icy “sunmig light” (beer)…toink!

No comments:

Post a Comment