Sunday, October 5, 2008

From “Doutor to Laoshi” - Only in Volunteering!

My overseas volunteering experience has given me an endless account of professional and personal gains. But what struck me most is the display of reverence given to me by my colleagues, staff and especially the beneficiaries of the programs I handled. It is interesting and amusing that they can “label you as someone you are not”. Confused? Will tell you, why?

Labeling Me

The people I have worked and met in Mozambique consistently call and introduce me as a Doctor. Not that I do not like it. In fact, it was an unfulfilled dream of becoming one. Here in the Philippines (I guess, anywhere too), we have such a high regard of that profession - that made me a little bit awkward in accepting the title. This was the common introduction for me “Bom dia! (Good Morning) Como esta? (How are you?) This is Doutor Joel from the Philippines”. Doutor is the Portuguese term. And my standard reply was “NO I AM NOT A DOCTOR” And would insist another one “NO I AM NOT A DOCTOR”. In due time, I got tired refusing the title so when someone introduces me...this is Dr. Joel…My standard reply would now be “Aha…Muito frazer” (Nice meeting you!), sigh… But I did wonder why they call me a Doctor so I asked around. I learned that my course (B.S. Biology) is a 5-year course in Mozambique which needs a license to practice the profession. So that explains why.

Now I am in China. I design, develop and deliver HIV/AIDS related trainings to students (out-of-school-youth), People Living with HIV and AIDS, professionals and teachers. “Laoshi” is the Mandarin term for a Teacher. From “doutor” in Mozambique I now become “Laoshi” in China (Laughing Out Loud - LOL). Whenever training participants sees me, they greet me with “Laoshi ni hao (Hello teacher!)”… “Ei (pronounced as long a) ni hao” would be my reply with a big smile! Sounds like I am getting used to being labeled a different profession I am not.

On Being Me Sans Labeling

At one point, I felt like I’m losing my professional identity. But on the other hand, I also asked myself “Do I really have a professional identity”? (LOL). These are just mere professional labels and what is important is the significant contribution that volunteers bring to advance the causes of poverty and global disadvantage. The bottom line is the compassion and dedication of the service than the title of a profession one is carrying. One can have 10 titles after a name but is he ready for the challenges of an overseas volunteer? The rewards coming from a volunteer comes from the accolade of people in the grassroots, no salary, non-profit in everything – except the profit you get for getting fulfilled for serving the needy not only economically but psychologically and emotionally.

It is at this point that I come to realize that labels (in any form) are just labels. It could mean something great to many people but it can also be irrelevant due to the differences in language and culture. The local people tend to associate the value and the role volunteers’ play in a different working environment and culture to these professions.

You can indeed be a Doctor and heal people in many different ways or a Teacher and teach people with life skills – labels doesn’t matter anymore. Doctor or Teacher, the most important thing is the knowledge being imparted and the skills being transferred to local people in the hope of making a significant and meaningful development in the lives of those who are disadvantage. I think that matters the most!

Now I can be comfortable being a “Doutor” and/or “Laoshi” and God knows what next time I get my new assignment! Engineer would be nice, why not? (LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment